The Language Metadata Table (LMT) standard was created to provide a unified source of reference for language codes for use throughout the media and entertainment industries. LMT’s Working Group mission is:
- To create a standardized table of language codes for implementation by entertainment and other industries using IETF BCP 47.
- To facilitate efficient and consistent LMT usage through best practices.
- To extend LMT code values through vetted field definitions and approved language code values with a community of thought leaders who focus on information and data from the business, professional associations and academic institutions through the exchange of knowledge and collaboration.
Conceived by HBO, MESA supports the LMT Working Group as one of its communities of practice.
Since LMT’s initial release, the Working Group, whose members include representation from HBO, Turner, Warner Bros, Disney, WWE, NBCUniversal, Paramount, Sony Pictures, Showtime, Lionsgate, Fox, among others, have reached agreement on:
- Language terms, definitions, and examples
- Template for adding new languages
- Over 140 language codes and display values – with more on the way
HBO encourages industry adoption of the IETF BCP 47 languages standard and, in the spirit of industry collaboration, granted MESA the rights to publish HBO’s work and continue the efforts LMT Working Committee.
If you are interested in participating in MESA’s LMT Working Group CLICK HERE to apply. Chaired by HBO team leaders, Yonah Levenson and Laura Dawson, the group meets regularly to further the efforts of this initiative.
Next steps include:
- Defining and documenting the policies and procedures for adding new languages
- Updating the existing LMT with 50+ additional languages
- Inform other standards organizations about LMT and support adoption
- Present results at MESA’s next industry event (for a schedule, CLICK HERE)
For additional information, or to learn more, contact Mary Yurkovic, Director, MESA’s Smart Content Council, via email: [email protected]